Paradise Lost
We have a new forum!

http://paradiselost.ipbfree.com
Paradise Lost
We have a new forum!

http://paradiselost.ipbfree.com
Paradise Lost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paradise Lost

Paradise Lost is a forum dedicated to the Bioshock videogame series and the Role Playing community. If you enjoy intellectual videogame discussion and roleplaying with a Bioshock twist, Paradise Lost is your forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
We have a new forum! http://paradiselost.ipbfree.com
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 109 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:33 pm
Latest topics
» Stanny-boy. (Stanley Coleman)
Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 10:05 pm by Stanley

» 'Ello there.
Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 9:05 pm by Stanley

» Joseph 'Joey' Sleep
Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 5:42 pm by Joey

» Ideas for Plasmids?
Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 12:38 pm by Joey

» Joseph "Mitch" Mitchener
Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 11:34 pm by Orkpower

» Introducing myself
Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 9:29 pm by RTM

» Jonas "Judas" Priest
Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 8:52 pm by AspirationRealized

» Katherine "Kat" Brynes
Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 8:32 pm by AspirationRealized

» Hello, my name is Judas.
Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 8:05 pm by Judas

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Rapture Radio

Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?

Go down 
+5
AspirationRealized
Who_is_Atlas?
Selene
Demosthenes
Forsaken Lament 04
9 posters

Gore Verbinski: A Decent choice for Bioshock Director?
Yes
Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_vote_lcap85%Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_vote_rcap
 85% [ 11 ]
No
Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_vote_lcap15%Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
Forsaken Lament 04
Think Tank

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? Empty
PostSubject: Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?   Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 11:03 pm

How do you feel about the selection of Gore Verbinski as director for the Bioshock film? As many of you may know, some are very happy about the choice, while other are anything but thrilled...

Personally, I'm glad they found someone with a history of experience in the film industry. While Pirates of the Carribean wasn't exactly an intellectual or suspsensful film, we can at least take solace in the fact that he knows what hes doing. After all, as many people say, if he could turn a disney roller coster into a film, he should be able to work wonders with Bioshock.
Back to top Go down
http://thesmashbrotherhood.one-forum.net/index.htm
Demosthenes
Think Tank
Demosthenes

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?   Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 1:30 am

I've often thought about the treatment video games receive when translated to the big screen. For one reason or another, the directors tank horribly. I can't remember a single movie based on a video game that I thought was actually good. No, wait, Mortal Kombat ruled when I was 12 or whatever.

That said, surely we've all noticed that the latest craze in Hollywood these days is to crank out movies based on comics. For the most part, I really enjoy these movies, and so does the general populace. I thought the first X-Men movie was great, so were the Spiderman movies. V for Vendetta was fantastic, and, despite the differences from the source, I thought Watchmen was great too.

So, it is my wish that Hollywood find directors who are devoted to the original vision that is portrayed in these games. I liked Pirates, I thought it was a fun movie. The second was okay, not as great as the first was. I never saw the third. I imagine Verbinski will do just fine as Bioshock's director, but I'm perplexed about what story they're going to tell. For the most part, the only dialogue Jack has with anyone is through the radio. I have difficulty thinking about what they're going to film. Jack running around and killing splicers? Jack saving Tennenbaum (played by hot 20-something actress) from the clutches of Fontaine? Or a Big Daddy? I do not envy the person writing the script, that's to be sure.

Still, I hope it kicks ass.
Back to top Go down
Selene
Thuggish Splicer
Thuggish Splicer
Selene

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?   Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 12:42 am

Quote :
Jack saving Tennenbaum (played by hot 20-something actress) from the clutches of Fontaine?

An interesting idea. You're probably right about the hot 20-something actress. I guess that's nearly unavoidable with Hollywood. It's really too bad, though, since I got the impression that she was supposed to be plain and as un-feminine as possible.

I can't comment on the director, since I don't know a ton about him. As for the plot, though, I suspect they'll focus on the over-all history of Jack. Such an adventure! Like in Momento, the main character doesn't really remember much about his past, and it all unfolds in the drama. Most of the splicer-killing and wandering (and especially the exploring, of which I took mega advantage) will probably have to be left out.
Back to top Go down
Who_is_Atlas?
Think Tank

Number of posts : 26
Location : In Rapture, plotting for the revolution of the proletariat! :P

PostSubject: Re: Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?   Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 1:26 am

I disagree on Tenenbaum to some extent - while we might get a beautiful actress to play her, I think that Verbinski is aware that her character has this air of a somewhat detached overseer, at first, to her but of course changes to loving mother figure. Keep in mind though, however, that her portrait in game wasn't all that bad looking; I thought her rather pretty there, actually. Was it just me, or did anyone else kind of get this feeling of asexuality from her? I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I thought it likely considering that her social skills are rather poor...

I'm actually more concerned of whether or not our actress will be able to put forth a believable German accent. Laughing

As for Verbinski, as in an interview Levine noted, he's a director who could take on any project, him and John Logan (the writer) could pick any project they choose. They're considered very valuable industry players but...they picked this one. Levine isn't even dominating the project, he says he's more just trying to be their friend and saying, "What can I help with?" rather than "This is what you guys SHOULD do..." If Levine says we're in good hands, I think we're in good hands, folks.
Back to top Go down
Demosthenes
Think Tank
Demosthenes

PostSubject: Re: Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?   Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Well, here's hoping they get Tennenbaum right. Here's hoping they get all the characters right. It almost seems like, ironically, that the least important character to get right is Jack. I mean, Ryan, Tennenbaum, Atlas, and Fontaine are all huge roles in the game and we've come to recognize and identify with their voices very well. Even smaller characters are just as important. Dr. Steinman, Sander Cohen, Diane McClintock. Gotta love those guys too.

Maybe there'll be a lot of flashbacks with the audio diaries? Meh, who knows. Though, I did find Tennenbaum's picture attractive, if she was a child in the prison camps, then how old would she be about? Gosh, not that old when you think about it. Even if she was 18 by the end of the war, that'd only make her about 33 or 34 in the game. Huh. Anyway, yes, they'll definitely have to get the accent down.
Back to top Go down
AspirationRealized
Think Tank
AspirationRealized

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?   Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 5:21 pm

She was a child prodigy, correcting doctors even before 18. I forgot the exact age, so don't hold me to it, but for some reason I think she was 14 back then.
Back to top Go down
Who_is_Atlas?
Think Tank

Number of posts : 26
Location : In Rapture, plotting for the revolution of the proletariat! :P

PostSubject: Re: Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?   Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:13 pm

AspirationRealized wrote:
She was a child prodigy, correcting doctors even before 18. I forgot the exact age, so don't hold me to it, but for some reason I think she was 14 back then.
Tenenbaum was 16 when she first got dragged off into a Nazi concentration camp. As Paradise Lost's official historian, I gotta know this stuff, right? Cool This is also probably the time they started noticing her genius as well.

I think Demos is right in that we're going to have a problem replicating each character's distinct 'voice' that they have. I mean, we can sit here and endlessly theorize about possible casts, but that doesn't mean they'd actually get into the role of the character, you know? I think even the most faithful script can be brought down by actors who just don't care about their roles. If we get a decent script and passionate actors, it's really all just smooth sailing from there.
Back to top Go down
Demosthenes
Think Tank
Demosthenes

PostSubject: Re: Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?   Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 1:21 pm

She was 16? That's interesting. She's a very mysterious character, I think. But it's only ever hinted at. I hope they revisit those ideas in the next games. I mean, unless it was just Fontaine trying to screw with your head and make you distrust her. But he brings up some good points. Particularly her "walking through Rapture and World War II without even a scratch".
Back to top Go down
Circus of Values
Thuggish Splicer
Thuggish Splicer

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?   Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 10:45 pm

I think Tanenbaum would be best portrayed by an actress who is older, but looks young, and radiates an aura of being SAFE.

On the topic, I am confident that Verbinski can direct it well enough, but the concern would be getting the storyline/dialogue right. Well, we will just have to see once it comes out Shocked
Back to top Go down
E.Bouncer
Thuggish Splicer
Thuggish Splicer

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?   Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 1:51 am

well hopefully Gore (has anyone else noticed the name?) verbinski will get it right, they did say he played it and loved the game himself... altho I dont think that really means much

cheers to hoping he doesnt screw up the movie, and even more to hoping he makes it the baest damn movie ever!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WinstonZeddemore
Thuggish Splicer
Thuggish Splicer
WinstonZeddemore

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?   Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 8:36 pm

I'm wary of any movie based on a video game. I read in Game Informer, though, that 2k games wasn't going to let anyone like Uwe Boll make the movie, thank God, and I think Gore Verbinski isn't a bad director (he's a studio director, so he makes the big budget movies that don't really need a rocket scientist to make). Some stories and themes just don't translate well to the big screen. With a game whose story is so epic and complicated, like Bioshock, Hollywood can only screw it up. There have been very few video game-based movies that have come out that I actually thought were good. I loved Doom (though it wasn't close to the game) and Hitman was actually a good movie by any standards. You have to remember that studios don't make movies like these for the fans. They are going to have to try to appeal to everyone. Therefore, you'll have a 20 something Tennenbaum with big boobs. They'll probably cast Jack off of one of the many WB tiger beat shows (or Orlando Bloom, b/c of the Pirates connection). And the story will probably only resemble the game's to a minor degree. I hate to be a naysayer, but after Sam Raimi killed Venom, I've lost faith in Hollywood doing justice to the stories I love.
Back to top Go down
Electric Flesh
Thuggish Splicer
Thuggish Splicer
Electric Flesh

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?   Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 10:27 pm

I must admit...I kinda wish they weren't making a film. After the saturatory rape of great games like Doom, Max Payne, and many, many others, I'm a bit worried.

I have a bit of faith in Gore, but I'm keeping expectations really, really, low. pale
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?   Gore Verbinski: A decent choice? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gore Verbinski: A decent choice?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Paradise Lost :: The Future of Rapture :: Bioshock on Film-
Jump to: