Paradise Lost
We have a new forum!

http://paradiselost.ipbfree.com
Paradise Lost
We have a new forum!

http://paradiselost.ipbfree.com
Paradise Lost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paradise Lost

Paradise Lost is a forum dedicated to the Bioshock videogame series and the Role Playing community. If you enjoy intellectual videogame discussion and roleplaying with a Bioshock twist, Paradise Lost is your forum.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
We have a new forum! http://paradiselost.ipbfree.com
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 109 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:33 pm
Latest topics
» Stanny-boy. (Stanley Coleman)
Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 10:05 pm by Stanley

» 'Ello there.
Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 9:05 pm by Stanley

» Joseph 'Joey' Sleep
Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 5:42 pm by Joey

» Ideas for Plasmids?
Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 12:38 pm by Joey

» Joseph "Mitch" Mitchener
Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 11:34 pm by Orkpower

» Introducing myself
Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 9:29 pm by RTM

» Jonas "Judas" Priest
Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 8:52 pm by AspirationRealized

» Katherine "Kat" Brynes
Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 8:32 pm by AspirationRealized

» Hello, my name is Judas.
Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 8:05 pm by Judas

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Rapture Radio

Something in the Sea

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AspirationRealized
Think Tank
AspirationRealized

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Something in the Sea Empty
PostSubject: Something in the Sea   Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 10:41 am

Any comments on lizzy's beautiful work on the viral site?
Back to top Go down
Demosthenes
Think Tank
Demosthenes

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Something in the Sea   Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 10:47 am

It was pretty interesting, though I'm sad that GI went and screwed it all up by releasing their cover before the final day of the site. It was, like, day 6 and we all knew what it was that was stealing the little girls.

Still, it was fun trying to figure everything out. Took me a little while to get at the materials behind the picture on the first day though. I was like, "How am I supposed to read that stuff if I can't get to it?" I got it eventually.
Back to top Go down
Herbert George Wells
Thuggish Splicer
Thuggish Splicer
Herbert George Wells

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Something in the Sea   Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi guys I'm new here and would like to start RPing pretty soon (just need to create a profile Smile . Before I do, I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on playing as a big daddy prototype in bio2 and the inclusion of multiplayer.
Back to top Go down
Demosthenes
Think Tank
Demosthenes

PostSubject: Re: Something in the Sea   Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi and welcome,

Good luck with your profile. AspiR's a hard ass when it comes to approving them. (Not really)

Anyway, I'm skeptical about being a Big Daddy, but I'll trust 2K this time. I hope they pleasantly surprise me as they did in the original. Admittedly, when I first heard about it, I was very put off. Big Daddies are cool, but I have the habit of thinking of them as nearly unstoppable forces. In the first game, it seemed as though a Big Daddy could take out any number of splicers without hardly having a scratch on him by the end of the fight. I'm hoping our character has some weaknesses to whatever they throw at us.

As far as multiplayer goes, I'm excited for it and interested in how they'll implement it. The big rumor was the co-operative mode, which begs the question whether it is needed to experience the entire game. Also, one of the great parts about the original was the sense of going it alone, for the most part. Sure, you got some help along the way, but nothing like another person to always be with you, unless you dropped an EVE hypo every three minutes to keep a Big Daddy by your side all game. So, in that vein, I wonder how the additional player will affect the story, and the way they tell the story.

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to going back to Rapture. As immense as the first game was, I hope they make this one even larger.
Back to top Go down
Herbert George Wells
Thuggish Splicer
Thuggish Splicer
Herbert George Wells

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Something in the Sea   Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 9:07 am

Yeah, the idea of playing as a big daddy doesn't exactly thrill me. For one, being a big daddy would be over-powered, but a big daddy with plasmids!?!
The latest issue of gameinformer (i will link the pages if ppl want) deals mainly with bioshock 2. They try to make out that you are not op by saying you will be facing other BD and a BS, but every other enemy will just be a push over surely?

This is kind of worrying as the whole point of Bio 1, was you against these horribly deranged creatures who seemed like super power junkies. It was an alienating and terrifying world were most enemies seemed to have the upper hand and everything was a mistery. Being a big daddy(with plasmids OMG what were they thinking?) removes these key elements.

It seems the story so far has been thought up by some dolts in marketing who seem to have no idea what made the original so brilliant and are listening to all the wrong people ( namely the FPS crowd who's only concern is multiplayer and bigger guns). I therefore wait with bated breath for bioshock's sequel in the hope that I am wrong. It would be terrible to see bioshock become just another soulless franchise like a certain old blue hedgehog who dearly needs to be put down...
Back to top Go down
AspirationRealized
Think Tank
AspirationRealized

PostSubject: Re: Something in the Sea   Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 9:27 am

I don't thing that reception isn't well founded... I just think the doubt might be a little too hasty. Trying to remain optimistic.

No one can deny that they've got the gameplay ramped up quite a bit, what with the use of a Big Daddy and their weapons, along with enchanced plasmids (why, exactly, does he have improved plasmids if he's the first Big Daddy? how will the two fisted system work? Remains to be seen). I think that from this point, as a game developer, its extremely easy to slap the story together. As for your comment that there's nothing to challenge you, it appears they'll be throwing more splicers at you and it stands to reason ten years in Rapture has made them more difficult. Did you notice in the last page how odd that Spider Splicer's feet looked? You didn't?

Oh yeah, and there's the Big Sister.

There's potential for them to butcher the story, but I'm hoping Levine won't let that happen. Take note using more levels and more characters like Sander Cohen and Frank Fontaine. That little message gave me a lot of hope for BS 2's direction in so far as story goes.

I'll tell you this much. The Big Sister's identity, and I don't care if she's my mom, isn't enough to qualify as the main part of the story of the game with the word "Bioshock" in its title. Not even if the title was Bioshock-esque.
Back to top Go down
Who_is_Atlas?
Think Tank

Number of posts : 26
Location : In Rapture, plotting for the revolution of the proletariat! :P

PostSubject: Re: Something in the Sea   Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 3:25 pm

I deleted my post from earlier because it really wasn't going to get me, or anyone else, anywhere. However, let me ask everyone who's talked thus far this - if you're so against playing as a Big Daddy, and you feel it would ruin the experience, would you REALLY just want to play as a normal person again? I know I don't want to. Not really, I mean. Maybe if it's the next game, but a break will be a nice diversion from Jack's story. That's another thing: that's Jack's story, not this Big Daddy's. If we had gotten another human protagonist, you know what everyone would have complained about then? 'BioShock 2 isn't any different from BioShock 1!' But the gaming public is fickle, and consistently whiny, and are never pleased by anything; so really, it's all the same, I guess.

As for the Big Sister - she's unique. I can't say anymore than anyone else, but she seems to be something that isn't done, at least usually not very well, which is the 'silent antagonist.' Jack was, for most of the story, just some generic guy until the post-Rapture Control levels. He had no real personality to speak of at all. And yet, how can anyone be disappointed with the Big Sister? Someone who they're going to HAVE to give personality, even if she can no longer speak, because she's our main baddie. If 2K Marin can successfully get something together and make her a compelling bad guy, who's actually sympathetic (while I sort of felt sorry for Ryan, there was no emotional attachment, or wonderful moral ambiguity, over whether or not what they were doing was right; Ryan, Fontaine, and Cohen were all evil in their own ways). What we need is for the Big Sister to be presented in a 'gray' way to the players - make us feel bad for doing what we're doing.

And keeping with this, who's to say that we aren't the real bad guy? After all, aren't we disrupting an actively working order structure by essentially being a terrorist? Just think about that.
Back to top Go down
AspirationRealized
Think Tank
AspirationRealized

PostSubject: Re: Something in the Sea   Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 9:52 am

Be careful guys. I think the Big Sister is actually Who is Atlas? in disguise.
Back to top Go down
Demosthenes
Think Tank
Demosthenes

PostSubject: Re: Something in the Sea   Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 7:08 pm

In response to your question, WIA?, I wouldn't say I am "so against" playing as a Big Daddy that it'll ruin the game for me. Definitely not. My gut reaction when I first heard that "you're going to be the first Big Daddy ever" was a bit of a groan, but like I said, I trust 2K to make a great game and I'm sure I'll enjoy being this character just as much as Jack.

As far as Big Sister goes, I think she'll be a great addition to the game. When I saw the artwork for her and her "grown up" ADAM collecting needle, I got really excited. I think she looks great. She reminded me of the hands in Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past that take you back to beginning of the level they're in. Of course it'll be different in BS2, but the whole idea of being stalked by her reminded me of it.

I wonder if you'll successfully be able to drive her away or if you'll be forced to harvest your Little Sister right there. It'd be great if you could hide from her, and yet see her looking around for you. Though, I don't know how good a Big Daddy can hide. I imagine this element will be one of their keys into bringing "the scary" back into Bioshock.
Back to top Go down
AspirationRealized
Think Tank
AspirationRealized

PostSubject: Re: Something in the Sea   Something in the Sea I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 11:18 pm

<.< this thread was about the Viral site guys.

Feel free to start one on being a big daddy or fighting big sister or whatever though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something in the Sea   Something in the Sea I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Something in the Sea
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Paradise Lost :: The Future of Rapture :: Bioshock 2 General Discussion-
Jump to: